The Halong Bay weather in May, which is one of the best time to visit Halong Bay, brings with it the first round of the real summer heat but still holds off on the heavy rains for the most part.
This article details everything you need to know about the Halong Bay weather in May, including stats on the average temperature, sunlight, rainfall, and humidity. You’ll also get to see the pros and cons of traveling here in April, as well as some top tips if you do decide to make the trip at this time of year.
If you need any further information on this subject, head on over to our previous post about what to expect from the Halong Bay weather throughout the year.
What to Expect from Halong Bay Weather in May
The May temperatures in Halong Bay soar compared with the month before, with average temperatures hitting 28 degrees Celsius. Temperature highs will easily exceed 30 degrees, and lows will hover around 24 degree.
The added heat factor makes Halong Bay’s water-based activities all the more appealing; swimming, snorkelling, and kayaking are all on the menu.
The sunshine levels don’t fluctuate too much throughout the year in Halong Bay, with every month experiencing either seven or eight hours of direct sunlight. May is on the higher end of the spectrum, with eight hours of sunshine daily.
The Halong Bay weather in May brings rising humidity levels along with the soaring temperatures. Visitors can expect 78% humidity on average in May.
The average rainfall in May jumps significantly from that of April, reminding us that the summertime storms are not far away. In May, you can expect to experience 175mm of rainfall over an average of 14 days. While this number seems rather high when compared with the tame 57mm of rainfall in April, May rainfall is still nothing compared with that of the coming summer months.
At this point, the Halong Bay weather is prone to typhoons that move in from the southeast. The closer we come to ‘typhoon season’, which is generally from May-October, the more likely cruises are to be affected by bad weather. Make sure to check the forecast and keep in touch with your cruise operator in case there’s a cancellation due to stormy weather.
Pros and Cons of Visiting Halong Bay in May
- The warm Halong Bay weather in May make for ideal conditions to enjoy water activities.
- The long hours of sunshine coupled with the warm temperatures are great for enjoying time outdoors.
- While rainfall levels are on the up, they still are not nearly as high as the coming months- it’s a good last chance to see the bay before the summer storms hit.
- The Halong Bay weather in May can bring storms, and if they are bad there is a chance your booking will be affected by it. Make sure to check with your cruise director if bad weather is on the forecast.
Top Tips for Travelers to Halong Bay in May
- Pack sunscreen! The May sunshine is extremely strong.
- Don’t forget a swimsuit- you’ll want to spend plenty of time in the water.
- If you need more advice about what to pack, check out our blog post with an exclusive Halong Bay packing guide.
- Check the weather forecast and if it looks like storms are coming make sure to confirm the cruise is still going ahead before you depart.
Let’s review all the infos above:
Ready to book your cruise to Halong Bay? Head on over to our booking platform to see the available cruises on your chosen dates.